I like to make nutritious, homemade meals for my family so we can sit down and eat together at the dinner table. That’s not always easy to accomplish when juggling various activities and schedules. To get dinner on the table, I generally have some specific criteria for recipes.
Recipes need to be reasonably easy without too many ingredients to round up, especially on a busy weeknight. They need to appeal to kids. I mean, I try not to coddle my kids too much, but they all have definite preferences and I don’t want dinner to be a constant battle. As I try to give everybody food that they like, I’m also always trying to make sure we’re eating something healthy.
This chicken dinner is a winner! With just four ingredients, it’s so simple to prepare – and it cooks quickly, too. This easy cheesy baked chicken recipe pleases even my most picky eater.
Yes, it has cheese and bacon bits (the real bacon kind) and canned soup, so this recipe isn’t going to turn up on the pages of a health food magazine, but I use Campbell’s Healthy Request soup variety. I also go fairly light on the bacon bits and cheese. They add some flavor as well as protein.
The key for getting it on the table fast is cutting large chicken breasts into smaller pieces to bake faster. This also helps control portion sizes and makes the pieces just right for kids. Also good for kids: it bakes up very tender so you can cut it with a fork.
Easy cheesy baked chicken recipe
- 3-4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 10.5 ounce can of Campbell's Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
- 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons of bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a 13x9-inch baking dish. (I like to cut each large chicken breast into three smaller pieces so they cook faster. I then have 9-12 pieces of chicken.)
- Open the cream of chicken soup and cover the chicken evenly.
- Sprinkle bacon bits evenly over the chicken.
- Spread cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes untll chicken is cooked through.
Note: Always be sure chicken is cooked thoroughly.
This recipe is so fast and easy! I like to serve this with sides of carrots and green beans.
Do you have a favorite weeknight meal?
I shared this easy cheesy baked chicken recipe at some of these link parties.